Thursday, October 13, 2005

Hard Case Crime

Hard Case Crime is a new publishing house devoted to publishing oldschool paperback crime novels. As a fan of the originals, this is great news! The covers are to die for. I hope that Hard Case Crime realize how good they are and makes them available as prints. They're reprinting old classics, and also attracting some great contemporary writers. The idea was fun enough for Stephen King to write his own, The Colorado Kid. Major cool points to Mr. King for writing a direct-to-paperback pulp, just for fun! I just finished The Colorado Kid, and it was a suprise. I was expecting something more, I don't know, hard boiled pulp fictiony. It was a whole lot more quiet and sensitive. I don't want to say too much about it because I don't want to spoil it. It is definitely a recommended read. It reminded me a lot of what I was saying about Hannah and about the burning baby in Milo, Maine. I guess that shouldn't be suprising. Stephen King, for all his money, still chooses to live in the "real" Maine, away from the tourist towns, where things like the events in The Colorado Kid actually happen. More cool points for The King.

No comments: