Sunday, August 14, 2005

lightning and lightning bugs

Mark Twain once said, "The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between lighting and a lightning bug." Actually, he really said "The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning." But I think the words in the oft-used misquotation are "more right." But I digress because I want to talk about Jonathan Carroll who uses more of the right words than anybody.

I've never read his novels, but after reading his blog I'm going to. He writes snapshots of the things he sees or hears about during his day. Nothing earth-shaking or outrageous, but he writes with such strength and clarity. Always using just the right words and just enough of them. Minimal and beautiful like the finest Japanese watercolors. Not a lightning bug in sight.

Go to him. Now.

No comments: